Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I’m Feeling Like a Robot

As much as running makes me feel free, lately I’m feeling a little tied down.

When I used to go running, I would just tie my shoes and head out the door. Depending on the weather, I would wear anything from shorts-and-no-shirt to shorts-long sleeve shirt-and gloves or even full coverage with 2 layers including tights when it got below 30 degrees. There was even a time when I was experimenting with barefoot running. Those days were the best, if I wanted to go running I would just take off my shirt and walk out the door. Total freedom.

Now that I'm diabetic, I wear my normal shorts and shirt but I also wear a watch on one arm and a medic-alert bracelet on the other arm. I also clip my insulin pump on my waist band and it communicates with my constant glucose monitor which is attached to my skin. I also clip my iPod Nano onto my waistband and it communicates with my Nike+ device which is clipped onto my right shoe and keeps track of my pace and distance. The headphone cord goes up under my shirt and pops out my collar to reach my ears. Then, on top of all that, I wear a running belt that has a small pouch that holds snacks and a drink. I sometimes leave the water bottle at home if the run is under an hour but I always have at least 2 snacks of fast acting carbs. Usually it is a pack of fruit snacks and a Power Gel. I bring more for longer runs. I always bring one more than I think I will need so that even during the last part of the run, I will always have some carbs with me.
It takes me a few minutes to get all geared up and then head out the door to enjoy my “freedom”.

I could do without the iPod but the rest of the stuff just adds to my safety so I do it. It isn’t that bad. It is a little extra weight but I’ve still yet to be passed out there on the trails. This one guy tried last week but that was only because I slowed down to eat a gel. When I got back up to speed and we got to the hill, I easily pulled ahead.

I'm not complaining, just wanted everyone else out there to know how easy they have it. Hope to see more of you out there some time.

3 comments:

  1. Just be blessed that you are still alive and that you have all those devices to help control and maintain your diabetes. If the world didn't have those for you today you wouldn't be alive. Either would my little boy. Did you know he was diagnosed at age 4? We could have lost him at the beginning and again just 2 months ago. We haven't been able to get the continuous glucose meter yet which would have helped us even more. All that I am saying is just be glad to live in this day in age where we have access to devices like these and to look at every day as a blessing and not as a disease you happen to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me wrong, I'm super grateful for the technology and the fact that it keeps me alive. And I like it a whole lot more than carrying around needles and test kits. I'm just remarking on how strange it is that I carry all of this stuff on my and how different life is than just 4 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes life is way different. If I could take it away from Kelton and give it to myself I would. It is defenitely a trial but you will be stronger for it. That's all I was trying to say. I hope everything is well with you guys.

    ReplyDelete