Friday, May 18, 2012

I think I like Diabetes

The weirdest part of the relay experience was that even though I tested more frequently than normal that day, I didn't mind it at all. I don't know if it was because I was around other diabetics or just because I was fighting for a cause that day or what. Maybe it was because we were talking about running and diabetes and other related stuff all day. I didn't really know it at the time but I was actually enjoying the disease. I have always wanted to get to a place where I don't mind having it or maybe that I'm just not sad about it anymore but I never thought that it would be possible to actually enjoy it. Ever time I talked to one of the kids or one of the moms about how I manage my blood sugar, they were always so impressed that it gave me a good feeling of accomplishment and made me want to keep working at it.

While the race was happening I was just going with the flow, testing a bunch because it was necessary. But then when I got home, the next morning I had to do my normal first test of the morning and it kind of hit me that life was back to normal now and I have to keep doing this every day. The first test of the day still does this to me a little bit because I'm just coming out of dream land and coming back to the reality that I'm diabetic. Then later that day I was talking to my wife about diabetes and she said something to the effect of not wanting our daughters to get it. I wholeheartedly agree that I don't wish this disease on anyone especially my own kids but it also made me realize that my wife didn't really get it. I have always known that people who don't live with this disease really don't understand the challenges it poses but now I also realize that they also don't understand how awesome it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment