Thursday, December 1, 2011

Now I know.

A few days ago, I found out something new. My pump can get blocked and insulin might not be getting inside me.

Here is how I found out. I was going along just normal and then one day my blood sugar levels starting showing unusually high numbers. I tried taking more insulin and it didn't seem to work. I was quite confused as you might imagine.

Here are some charts that show how it all played out.



The first chart is a Saturday and it is mostly normal. I had stayed up too late the night before eating snacks and playing Call of Duty but that is another story. By the morning I was right on track.

The next chart is Sunday and you might notice that I went very high after breakfast. I had just switched out my infusion set (that's the part where the pump gets inserted into my body) so I just assumed I had an air bubble or something so I didn't get enough insulin. But then lunch sent me too high and dinner sent me way too high. Now I was really starting to wonder what was happening.

The next chart, Monday, starts high where Sunday left off and eventually comes back down and is very choppy all day. It is choppy because some parts of the day I tried pumping like usual and other times I took an old fashioned insulin shot just to try to figure out what was happening.

By Tuesday, I had pretty much assured myself that the pump just wasn't getting enough insulin in me. The weird part was that it did seem to be delivering just a tiny amount. I pulled out the infusion and sure enough it had a small 90 degree bend in it so it was kinked. 

Once I found the problem, it all made sense again. Now that I know that is even a possibility, I won't wait so long to fix it. It was weird though, I started getting those same thoughts that I had just before I was diagnosed. Thoughts like "what's wrong with me" and "this doesn't make any sense" and "what if I never get better". It was certainly not fun but it was good that I learned about this problem now.

I guess that's life with diabetes, one challenge after another.

Bring it on.




No comments:

Post a Comment