Sunday, May 1, 2011

Good first week.

My goal this week was to run 6 times. That means I had to make sure to get out the door every day except Sunday. I wanted to see what my insulin needs would be when I am in good shape and running every day. The goal is that if I want to race again, I will need to be able to handle 6 to 9 workouts a week.

The good news is that I did it. I missed on Friday but I ran twice on Saturday just to see if I could handle two in a day. (I also counted a soccer game on Tuesday as the run for that day.) The bad news is that my blood sugars were all over the place. But that is ok, I am learning that I need less insulin when I am in good shape.

So I am going to lower my Lantus (long lasting) insulin by 1 unit this week and try again. That will put me at 16 units a day.

I'm not running very fast yet but I am doing a consistent 4 or 5 miles at 7 minute pace at the same time every night. I find that if I eat 30 grams of carbohydrate before the run, I can finish the whole run and not need to eat until about an hour later.

Next week I will try eating only 15 carbs and see how far that gets me. The goal being that it would be nice to not have to eat so much right before a run because that can get a little uncomfortable.

I bought a running belt that holds a small water bottle and a pouch for emergency food. I carry fruit snacks and a PowerGel just in case I get too low on a run. I tried it out on Saturday night and it is a little bit annoying but I'm sure passing out on the side of the road would be more annoying so I'll stick with the belt for now.

1 comment:

  1. Hey it's your cousin Natalie. I couldn't believe it when I heard about your news. My oldest boy has had type 1 now for 2 1/2 years. We got him on the pump which has been the greatest thing. It's wonderful for him and for us. He's doing great. We also found out that he has celiac disease about 3 months after he was diagnosed with diabetes. If my little boy can do it you can too! If you have any questions for us please don't hesitate. Keep moving forward!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete