Friday, May 6, 2011

So Far, So Good.

I’ve had some good results and some not so good results this week but finding time to blog about it is harder than I thought. That’s probably why I couldn’t find the info I was looking for online.

The first thing I learned is that blood glucose (BG) levels don’t necessarily react the same to something like a soccer game than they do to a normal slow jog.
I played my first game of soccer since the diagnosis and overall it was fine but I’ll need to make some adjustments. Here's how it went:
First of all, I had to play the whole game since we had no subs. Second of all, my idea to just stay back and play defense doesn’t work when there are no subs because everyone was tired. Third of all, I need to remember to think of three things before starting lists.

I had a normal BG reading before the game so I had a normal sized snack (15 g of Carbohydrates) then I sipped on Gatorade during the game. At halftime, I’m not sure if I really felt low or was just afraid that I might be low so I had a PowerBar Gel for 25 quick carbs. I finished the game while still sipping on Gatorade every few minutes or so. Then after the game I tested and was way too high. I decided not to play the second game and that was probably a good move because an hour later I was low. So I’ll have to go back to the drawing board on that one.

I talked to someone about this and apparently when you really push it, your liver can let out some glucose to cover you so that might be why I was so high. But maybe it was just the PowerBar Gel.

The next week I played again and this time everything was much better. Besides scoring 3 goals, I went into the game and came out at good glucose levels. I started at 120 and had a half sandwich on the drive to the field. Then I just sipped watered down Gatorade every 10 minutes or so. Success.

Ok, so I can check soccer off my list of things I am still able to do.

So far, so good.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rhet, this is Mark Purcell. Not sure if you remember me very well, just wanted to say this blog is cool and I am glad you are doing well. I have been through some similar experiences with my heart arrhythmia trying to figure what I am able to do physically and adjust mentally. Thanks for posting this and hopefully I get to see you guys again someday!

    ReplyDelete